Lag Deaths

Ideas for cool stuff in the future.
Shank

Lag Deaths

Post by Shank »

I was talking with a few people tonight and we starting talking about lag deaths. Then I thought up a possible solution. If a person is in the dungeon and loses a packet, the player and monster(s) stop doing damage. This would continue until the player receives another packet. If the player would not have received damage in the time it takes the floor to reset the player is disconnected and normal static rules apply. If the player would have received damage in that period of time the floor is made static with a twist. No other characters can enter this floor until the original player leaves the floor. The person on the floor can not play any of their other characters until he plays that stuck character first. The floor would not be reset for several hours, to avoid abuse. The amount of times each account could do this, in a period of time, would be limited, to avoid abuse.
mikaelh
Developer

Re: Lag Deaths

Post by mikaelh »

It's not that simple really. One of the main problems is that "pulling the plug" would look like lag which may allow someone to save themselves in a bad situation. We can't allow that. Limiting isn't an option either because it doesn't prevent abuse, only limits it.
salinger

Post by salinger »

You can limit the number of packets loss with no damage to 10 - after that assume a "pulling the plug" trick and start damaging again.
I lost some very high chars due to lag spikes - ignoring a loss of ten packets or so (I can't tell the exact number) Can help...
Shank

Post by Shank »

How about this. If a person is in the dungeon and loses a packet, the player and monster(s) stop doing damage. This would continue until the player receives another packet. If the player would not have received damage in the time it takes the floor to reset the player is disconnected and normal static rules apply. If the player would have received damage in that period of time the floor is made static with a twist. The person on the floor can not play any of their other characters until he or she plays that stuck character first. The floor the person was on is moved to a temporary dungeon. This floor is made static until the person logs back in.

If this person was in Mordor, for example, at the time, the following would happen. Their floor is copied to a clone of Mordor in the winderness. This way their floor could be held static forever and other people wouldn't have to deal with static floors everywhere. When the player logs back in they can either recall or enter a staircase and they will be teleported to that depth in the regular dungeon. If that person dies on that floor their loot and ghost, if there is a ghost, is sent to the regular dungeon. Either way the floor on the temporary dungeon is reset.