Disarming Rods

Bug reports and discussion about bugs.
Shank

Disarming Rods

Post by Shank »

When I find monsters in vaults I like to use a detection rod to find traps. Then I position myself in places and zap my disarming rod to remove the traps from underneath the monsters before I start killing them. I have been running into a problem with this. When I zap the disarming rod sometimes it just goes off on its own without me picking a direction to zap. I was told it should only do so when it has a trap that it can hit. I've had occasions where it has zapped on its own and not hit any traps, yet there were traps it could have hit from that location. This problem is made worse by the fact that sometimes due to the layout of the dungeon I am forced to stand directly next to a creature. When using a detection rod at point blank range I have no idea which direction the rod fired. This has resulted in me thinking I have hit all the traps just to find out I have not.
Last edited by Shank on Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
the_sandman
Developer

Re: Disarming Rods

Post by the_sandman »

If you've anything targetted, you will fire the rod in that direction. You could try \e\e\e before zapping. If you are standing next to a monster and NOT have him targetted/meleed, then you should be asked where to fire the rod to. If you are meleeing the monster, you will fire in that direction.

Code: Select all

Say, if you are hitting the D, then the rod will fire to the East.
#.############
.#@D**********
##L###########
The cooldown is not that long even if you did misfire, but I could be wrong (most my characters have the MD skill).

I suspect there are others than myself that find the current rod functionality useful: it has a long linear range! We can probably add an area disarming rod that does its namesake. Sort of like Istari's disarm spell.
PowerWyrm

Post by PowerWyrm »

This bug has been in the Angband code for the VERY first day...

In case your non-offensive directional rods don't ask for a direction, but automatically zap themselves, simply press * then ESC. It should solve the problem.
Cornelius

Post by Cornelius »

I'd like to add that I'm pretty sure this only happens when you're wraithed (and every time for me unless I * ESC after moving in to view of an enemy).
Shank

Post by Shank »

#####
#DDD#
#DDD#@
#DDD#
#####

Lets say I am that @ and I want to kill all those D without breaking the walls. To be safe I would like to remove any traps that might be under them before I start killing them. I put on my wraith DSM and move left one space. I am now hovering over the wall. Now I am directly next to one of the D so I automatically target it. I can't be sure which D I have targeted. If I try to use my disarming rod it fires automatically. Since I am directly next to the D I can't see which direction the rod fired. So If you are standing next to more than one enemy while wraithed and zap a disarming rod you can't control which direction you fire your rod and can't be sure which direction you fired.