Influencing world generation?

Discussion about topics that don't fit elsewhere.
FailWStyle

Influencing world generation?

Post by FailWStyle »

So after looking for dependencies and tweaking makefile settings, I have finally gotten the tomenet server to work on my Ubuntu run laptop. However, I'm somewhat disheartened to see that my instance of Bree is completely surrounded by ocean, and many of the low level dungeons are in the far corners of the map. Is there any way I can influence the wilderness generation, like reducing ocean amounts or moving dungeon locations, or do I have to remake the server files every time until I am satisfied?

Also, I've noticed that there's no townspeople or target dummies in Bree upon generation, is there any way to add them in?
tokariew

Re: Influencing world generation?

Post by tokariew »

target dummy is easy to add, you must use alt+9 or ctrl+9, and you get dungeon master settings, you can in this menu easily add dummy
img {
max-width: 100%;
}
https://tokariew.xyz
FailWStyle

Post by FailWStyle »

Well, I've tried alt+9 and ctrl+9 on both the client and server, and neither held any particular response. The server didn't respond to it, and the client just makes my currently logged in character move once to the upper right, with and without numlock on.

Despite this, I've still been using this server quite a lot with a few of my friends during break times between classes, It's rather nice to have a go-to RPG to spend time on wherever we are. Thanks for providing the source code on your site, devs.
tokariew

Post by tokariew »

I find it. it's alt + 9, but not in the numeric keybord, i mean "9" with "("
you will get dungeon master commands
you will choose 3) summoning command, after 5) specific and write target dummy, next 1) X here
you can change nearly terran with 2) building command
you can add dungeon or tower with 1) level comand and 3) Add dungeon, but you must one choose T, becouse if you don't do it server will crush, every time when someone try to go into
you must do it with dungeon master, first character what you do on server
I'm very sorry if this massege is very chaotic
img {
max-width: 100%;
}
https://tokariew.xyz
FailWStyle

Post by FailWStyle »

All right, while they keys weren't precisely what you said (It was alt+[ for me, our keyboards may be different), you pointed me in the right direction, and I'm now able to use the Dungeon Master commands. Thanks tokariew.
C. Blue
Developer

Post by C. Blue »

For DM-summoning, "Target dummy" code is 1101, see r_info.txt.

About Bree being surrounded by water:
The whole world and all item flavours (like 'Emerald Ring' or 'Green Potion') are generated/assigned randomly the very first time the server is started. This means that if you don't like the dungeon placement, wilderness map or anything, you have to delete the file /lib/save/server which contains all this data. When you start the server again after deleting that server savefile, it will randomly generate a new world again.
PowerWyrm

Post by PowerWyrm »

You know it would take one line to change in wilderness.c to make all town surroundings grass instead of random. The only problem is that... as you said the change is only effective once you reset the server. Very useful for local servers: edit wilderness.c, recompile, run your server and tada... you don't have to reroll your world again. But for permanent servers... how many times was the official server reset since the beginning of time?