new player questions

Gameplay related issues.
Valor

new player questions

Post by Valor »

Greetings!

I read this awesome review about TomeNET and got very interested in trying it out.
http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/l ... 146/page/1

A long time ago ('88-'91 approx) I was writing my own simple rogue-like multiplayer real-time games.

I've been reading the guide but have failed to find any info about:

1. A web page I could visit or a text file or config file I could view to start to learn or refer what all the ascii characters on screen represent. I mostly want to learn all the terrain characters, but common monsters would be helpful as well. I'm sure I can get this information in game through the in-game interface but was hoping to have a "cheat sheet" to refer to for getting started.
2. Ways to customize key bindings. My particular problem is I'm usually on a laptop, so no numpad. On top of that I use a dvorak layout. Some quick advice on how to (if possible) re-map keys would be helpful.

Thanks!
Valor

Re: new player questions

Post by Valor »

OK I found the closest thing:
http://www.tomenet.eu/guide.php?chapter=4.4

Any chance anyone's done a color version of that where colorized characters are shown down the left and their meaning is shown down the right?

Is there a TomeNET wiki somewhere?

Thanks.
mikaelh
Developer

Post by mikaelh »

Valor wrote:1. A web page I could visit or a text file or config file I could view to start to learn or refer what all the ascii characters on screen represent. I mostly want to learn all the terrain characters, but common monsters would be helpful as well. I'm sure I can get this information in game through the in-game interface but was hoping to have a "cheat sheet" to refer to for getting started.
There are only a few terrain characters, so a cheat sheet really isn't necessary for them.

I'm not sure if this should be counted as a cheat sheet, but I have created an interactive online tool for finding monsters:
http://koti.mbnet.fi/mikaelh/tomenet/monsters/index.php
If you hit the search button without specifying any search parameters, you get a list of all the monsters. Currently there are over a thousand monster, so you shouldn't try to memorize all of them. Just start playing and learn as you go.
Valor wrote:2. Ways to customize key bindings. My particular problem is I'm usually on a laptop, so no numpad. On top of that I use a dvorak layout. Some quick advice on how to (if possible) re-map keys would be helpful.
The easiest way to re-map keys is to create command macros within the game client.
Valor wrote:Is there a TomeNET wiki somewhere?
No, there isn't. The Guide is the official source of information.
DeathGod

Post by DeathGod »

should consider getting a tomenet wiki :)