Moar info on the bigmap screen

Ideas for cool stuff in the future.
random

Moar info on the bigmap screen

Post by random »

Bigmap rocks. That's a fact.
Lower left side of the main screen is unused. That'a a fact as well.

My idea (I couldnt find any posts about it so I share this as mine ;-) ) is to use that field for:
- remaining info from the character screen, like +tohit, +todam, Saving Throw/Stealth/Disarming/MD stats, current mimic form (thus eliminating the need for separate character screen)
- resistance/boni/slay flags, in some shortened form of course

I know that the second thing would be much harder to implement since tomenet doesn't have current res/boni flag screen like Angband, but it would be greatly beneficial to use this space to give more information; my current idea is:
- display all known flags in boni/res/IM related color,
- possible reses (e.g. from an unidentified weapon or armor) could be shown in dark gray - for example with unidentified permanence robe would could get base reses lit fully, sustaints lit fully, MR + high res would be displayed in dark gray until the robe is fully identified,
- missing boni/res/IM would be blacked out.

Btw, sustains could be shown in bronze on the stats themselves, like damaged stat is yellow, permanent stat could be shown differently.
Domiano

Re: Moar info on the bigmap screen

Post by Domiano »

I like the idea of added info, but I think that goes a little bit too far.
When diving, you should know things like your resistances/hit/dam. The bottom left should be exclusively used for things you might NOT know, but should: Your temporary buffs. Resistances, DS, speed potion'd... things that could go out at any moment, that would be useful to be able to easily check.
random

Re: Moar info on the bigmap screen

Post by random »

Well - I can tell few reason why some indicators at the main screen would be useful:
(and yes, I know that most of this information is already there on one of the game screens but... it all depends on your window arrangement/display resolution how you can view this information - and in my case - looking at the sub-windows makes me lose the focus on what's going on the main screen which can possible end up my character being dead).

Situation 1 (my most recent encounter):
I like to dive in SWC, where Sirenes roam freely - they can make you un-wear an item. You get the message when it happens but it can be lost when e.g. melee fighting few enemies or using area spells. During a fight it's very hard to catch that kind of stuff until it's too late - when a Behemoth breathes for 400dmg instead of just 133dmg cause you're missing base res on the perma robe (currently residing in your inventory).

Situation 2:
I've redone my keybindings so that the "w" key makes me "run". When in amidst battle you accidently press the "\" key (e.g. on a slim enter keyboard) which allows you to use standard version of a key - various things may happen. I managed to wield once a Morgul weapon on a MA Druid making me fail to successfully attempt to defend myself on the nearest occasion.

Situation 3:
When using swap weapons/armor it's usually hard to tell exactly which one are you wearing at the moment. Visual indicator of which res you don't have or which ones you have would mean a lot.