Bree town monsters are too strong.

Gameplay related issues.
Zil

Bree town monsters are too strong.

Post by Zil »

What i see quite often is a new player joining the game, writing something in chat, walking around the town, dying, quitting the game and never returning. Yes, equipping your starting weapon is enough to kill the townies, but many new players don't know how to do that. I think lowering the damage output of the strongest ones (battle-scared veteran, mean- looking mercenary, agent of black market) so that they dont kill unarmed characters could bring some more new players to the game. Also i don't think gameplay would be hurt with those monsters being nerfed. Thoughts?
tokariew

Re: Bree town monsters are too strong.

Post by tokariew »

actually all chars auto-equip starting gear now…
But i think reducing damage output, will be nice, another possible option is to give chars some high AC boost when in Bree, like when you change lvl with stairs, but giving AC boost can be confusing…
img {
max-width: 100%;
}
https://tokariew.xyz
hootless

Post by hootless »

If you're hosting your own server (I am, playing on the official servers is way too laggy for me), you can edit the monster data files to lower the damage.

Go into your server folder, then go to /lib/game and open up r_info.txt (if the text is just a jumble of info with no lines separated, try opening with notepad++ or equivalent, which should make the lines display correctly). Hit control-f and search for the monster you want to change, then alter the lines starting with B: (denotes an attack line). Agents appear to have a 1d4 damage attack, MLMs have a 1d6 damage attack, and BSV have a 2d3 attack. Lower any of those (or even just remove the lines, which takes away the attacks entirely) and the problem is solved!
Zil

Post by Zil »

Well, my server does not have problems with new players :mrgreen:
tangar

Post by tangar »

I like that town monsters could do _something_. It's what make tomenet unique place (like cursed teleport ring).
Tangar's tileset, addon, guides & maps: English TomeNET page ||||||| Russian TomeNet page
http://youtube.com/GameGlaz — streams in English // http://youtube.com/StreamGuild — streams in Russian
My chars @ angband.oook.cz
Archma

Post by Archma »

Inhale carbon monoxide, exhale necromancy.

Isn't it the lower level draws the town mob's, once you are up a few levels they run away.
Can this be tweaked in some way. They can be hunted by a level 1?