TomeNET fights back with player's cunning and got "You feel like a stranger..." lvls:
But in 95% cases players would just scum for another lvl cause it's not worth the time (and danger) to be at this lvl. The same goes with "You lose all sense of direction..." lvls (especially if they combined with 'stranger' lvl).You cannot use magic mapping nor clairvoyance here! NO_MAGIC_MAP, +10% experience bonus!)
I think players has to be very happy to meet such lvls; to find there interesting adventure, not a boring and uncomfortable. What could be done to make 'unmappable' levels viable so players wouldn't just skip them?
1) Greatly increase chances to spawn quest-monster (/xorder) at such lvls.. Actually it could make quests viable too (not much people care to get them cause it's so low chance to meet monsters)... It would make TomeNET quests more fun (search in the dark is challenge!).
2) It would be fun to have extra treasure for going through such lvl. It could be guaranteed 'great' rarity item generated in random room on the dungeon.. Actually it would make such lvl feel like special 'quest-like' lvl.
3) Only at higher lvls (35 lvl+, so it wouldn't interfere with newbie-gameplay): if it's both 'stranger' and 'sense of direction' make bonus exp 50%.
// Comment to 'rewards': maybe be add an exeption for 'Maze' dungeon (cause there are too high chances to meet 'unmappable' lvls so people would scumm it.. But actully not much players going to Maze, so maybe it's even good to encourage them to get to the Maze and get reward! (except guaranteed 'great' item)
Add 'mechanics' which would slowly 'unravel' non-mappable lvl, different approaches:
1) add a 'counter' - you light radius 'mark' area around you; each new tile which you lighten - count as 1 point. After you would get 500-1000 points - you could use magic mapping scrolls... It's like you 'banish' with the light all dark magic which make lvl unmappable.
2) add 'maps' of the lvl which you could find in rooms, at monster loot & etc (actually it could be something like 'magic mapping' scrolls which are bounded to particular lvl).
3) add such mechanics - with every monster which you kill - you open map in random place on lvl (like your character 'automatically' get maps when kill monsters)
4) idea from Shtukensia: at such lvls add some objects (like fountains) which could magic map (not clairvoyance). It could be 'altars' (look like _ - dried fountains), when you /sip on them, they open part of the map.
Just make it not possible to scumm lvl (use stairs to re-generate lvl which could be mapped).. To prevent it - make all 'unmappable' lvls statics for 5 minutes. It would force players at least to find entrance to the next lvl. I'm not big fun of this solution ,its hard way.. But what could I say - it's quite TomeNETish style of fixing this problem
Let's make unmappable lvls interesting! or at least unscammable!
Actually the last word 'unscammable' is the most important there. When players has possibility to 'skip' such lvl (and do it at regular basis) - it's scumming, cheezing, not really good thing to do in terms of gameplay. Of course, it's ok to 'skip' certain lvls with ultra-dangerous 'open' watery vaults, but unmappable lvls are big roguelike-style fun and it would be good to 'bind' them more close to regular game mechanics.