running server?

Discussion about topics that don't fit elsewhere.
darwin

running server?

Post by darwin »

I compiled a server (with minor setting-type changes, just changed number of initial statistics points, some class, class title, item, spell, monster names, and set fruit bat characters displayed ‘@,’ and want to do so for mimics for others to see, but optional for player.) I edited the .cfg and logged in (to my 192.168.1.100) to create my dungeon master, got to choosing the sex, then it exits and I see this log (account/character names removed.)

Code: Select all

12 May (Fri) 21:04:25: Goodbye account(character)=d@cosmos.melik.windwi ("disconnect in play") (Ind=0,ind=0;wpos=-,-,-;xy=-,-)
tokariew

Re: running server?

Post by tokariew »

it look that you change something with starting position of character… try to compile it again, but don't change static points ;)
img {
max-width: 100%;
}
https://tokariew.xyz
darwin

Post by darwin »

I thought I was increasing how many statistics points (STR, DEX, CON, INT, WIS, CHA) you get to distribute, but are you saying I changed the map points instead? I didn't want to do that, just make a better ‘fun’ server... I guess I'll diff my version with the current standard and see what went wrong.
mikaelh
Developer

Post by mikaelh »

If you're modifying the code, first thing you should try is recompiling all code, i.e. type these commands inside the 'src' directory:

make clean
make
darwin

Post by darwin »

I did ‘make clean’ first, and nothing changed after make. Again, as someone wrongly assumed or misunderstood, I didn't change the PC's map position (don't even know where it is.) I'll prove that with this diff (temporary URL... is there a repository?) DTomeNET diff (again, doesn't work yet, so don't download unless you want to help debug.)

All my changes are under whatever license TomeNET uses (some Moria/Angband/ZAngband/ToME and/or GPL license, as applicable,) in case you like any (apart for example, than increasing initial statistics points, as I said, for a ‘fun’ server.) For example, the female equivalents of druids, knights, lords, wizards are druidesses, dames, ladies, witches. I changed ‘Draconian’ to standard AD&D 2nd ed. term ‘Dragon-kin.’ A standard English term is ‘magician,’ not Dungeons & Dragons' (D&D) ‘magic-user,’ nor modern fantasy informal/slang version of Zoroastrian ‘magus,’ ‘mage’... perhaps that's neutral, and ‘magus’ and ‘maga’ specify each sex. In classic D&D, ‘Maga’ is the name level title of a female magician or (as ‘Lady Maga,’) elf. I also tried to change Halloween & Christmas to Samhain (pagan day for it) & Solstice, but the dates (slightly different) are obfuscated, IMO.
mikaelh
Developer

Post by mikaelh »

I did some testing with your modifications. Client version 4.7.0b seems to connect to the server just fine. Client version 4.7.1 crashes exactly like you described. Looks like there's possibly a bug that prevents a 4.7.1 client from connecting to old servers.
tokariew

Post by tokariew »

i don't know why i assumed, change in starting position…
i tried to connect to my older server builds with a new client, and it don't like it, slighty diffrent error…

Code: Select all

("receive error in play")(Ind=0,ind=0;wpos=-,-,-;xy=-,-)
img {
max-width: 100%;
}
https://tokariew.xyz
darwin

Post by darwin »

The problem is the tomenet.eu front page doesn't link to the latest source code, only the latest client. The older client connects fine. I found the source code in downloads directory, but now have to redo all my code.
mikaelh
Developer

Post by mikaelh »

I fixed the download link. Sorry about that.
darwin

Post by darwin »

Thanks, and no problem... having to redo it finally made me decide to try some programming tools (sed, etc.) to see if I can re-implement the changes faster... but after first try, it didn't replace most the strings. Any other suggestions, or should I ask more in a programming thread? Also, I'm wondering, is the source code on a version control software site yet (such as Github.com, etc.) that I could just learn how to upload patches/forks?